Mercury Toxicity: Hidden Health Hazard

 

by Hepsharat Amadi, M.D.

Many ailments that are common these days stem from causes that are not usually recognized by conventional medical doctors. Part of the reason they are not recognized is that medical education does not teach doctors about them. For example, lead poisoning is recognized by doctors, and remedies for it, such as chelation therapy, are also taught. But for the most part, the effects of mercury toxicity, as well as other environmental pollutants, are hardly mentioned in medical school or residency.

 

One of the reasons for this is that doctors are trained to use blood tests as the “gold standard” for measuring changes in the body that occur at the biochemical level. The problem with this approach is that there are many toxins which enter the body that do not stay primarily in the blood, but instead, infiltrate their way into other tissue compartments which may be relatively difficult to measure. Mercury will lodge in all of the tissues of the body, including the brain and nerves, but it tends to concentrate especially in the kidneys.

Mercury has become a major source of toxicity for many people relatively recently. It did not start to be used as a component of “silver” fillings until the last 60 to 70 years of human history. Despite mercury being a known toxin, it was allowed to be used in dentistry under the mistaken assumption that it would be inert when placed in people’s mouths. The reality is that no substance is completely inert when placed into a living system. Once it has been placed into the body in the form of dental fillings, small amounts of mercury vapor are always being emitted from the filling and small amounts of the dental mercury leach into the patient’s saliva constantly.

Other sources of mercury toxicity besides those derived from dental amalgams are from environmental pollution from factories and dental offices. Mercury pollution can come from eating fish, especially swordfish and tuna that have been swimming in polluted waters. These toxins concentrate as they move up the food chain, thus they are present in greater amounts in larger marine fish.

People can also acquire mercury toxicity indirectly from their mothers. There are people who have never had mercury amalgams placed in their own mouth, but whose mothers had mercury amalgams in their mouths during gestation;  these people are affected by mercury secondhand from their mother. Vaccines can be another source, as mercury was used as a preservative in some vaccinations. Mercury, in the form of thimerosol, was also used as a preservative in some ophthalmic solutions for contact lenses.

Mercury causes disruption of the biochemistry of the body that can underlie many diverse symptoms and syndromes. Acne, allergies, neurologic manifestations such as autism, tremors, immune problems such as chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and candidiasis, even cancer can all have mercury as an underlying causative agent. Mercury can also be the main cause of hormonal disruption, thyroid and adrenal difficulties and imbalances, inflammation, connective tissue weakness, cystitis, recurrent urinary tract infections, vulvodynia, infertility, and more.

Certain disorders that are usually thought of as being primarily psychological may also be primarily caused by mercury toxicity. These disorders, which include anxiety, depression, ADD and ADHD, are often treated symptomatically with pharmaceuticals without their true causes ever being diagnosed, much less addressed.

Mercury can still do damage to the body long after it has been physically removed from the mouth, but preventing further contamination by removing the source of the toxicity is still a valuable and important thing to do. It is critical to have your mercury fillings removed by a dentist that uses special protocols to take out fillings that contain mercury. Unfortunately, the vast majority of dentists are not taught these protocols in dental school, but the use of  special equipment and procedures not only helps to protect the patient from breathing in mercury vapors, but also helps to protect the health of the dentist and staff.

There are many ways to measure mercury accumulation in the body, but the most common types of blood tests usually ordered by doctors do not reveal or rule out the presence of mercury toxicity. Certain types of urine tests can help to reveal the presence of mercury at higher than “acceptable” levels, as can certain types of hair analysis tests.

There are many different ways to help remove mercury from the tissues of the body. Some of these include colon hydrotherapy (colonics), herbs such as cilantro and chlorella, and the mineral zeolite. These remedies work on the biochemical level. Other methods, such as quantum biofeedback, ionic footbaths and homeopathic remedies work on the energetic level.

Because mercury is such a toxic substance, it can be a slow process removing it from the body as safely as possible, but doing so is a truly preventive health measure that can drastically reduce a person’s risk of developing degenerative disease and even help to reverse it if already begun.

 

For more information on mercury toxicity, see the excellent material available at Mercola.com (the mercury free dentistry articles). See ad this page.

Posted in: Local
Return to Previous Page

Archives