Dr Yani, Holistic and Healing Dentistry, offers a few oral health tips which she shares with her patients for oral prevention. These can save money while making a healthful improvement to your oral health as well as that of your family.
This six-step process will help naturally heal cavities:
1. Eliminate excess grains from diet (that aren’t sprouted) which tend to increase phytic acid.
2. Eliminate processed and excess sugar.
3. Consume minerals (load up on calcium, magnesium and selenium) and supplements (more fat-soluble vitamins A, D, K and E).
4. Get plenty of probiotics (either by eating probiotic foods or through supplements) to re-establish healthy oral bacterial flora.
5. Try oil-pulling (extra-virgin coconut oil or sesame oil). Oil pulling is swishing oil for 20 minutes or so for those that have extreme dry mouth.
6. Use myrrh and/or peppermint essential oils.
What makes peppermint so powerful is the compound menthol, which helps reduce inflammation and acts as an antioxidant. It’s also used as an energy booster and to help IBS and leaky gut issues among other medical benefits.
Myrrh essential oil helps relieve toothache, gingivitis and mouth ulcers and also freshens breath. Myrrh oil and peppermint oil are even used as natural ingredients in mouthwash and toothpaste.
It’s important to know that once a cavity has gotten too deep into the dentin, decay has to be removed mechanically and a filling/restoration might be deemed necessary.
Location: 212 SE 12th St. (Davie Blvd.), Fort Lauderdale, 954-525-6010.